Sensory Storytime is an interactive, inclusive storytime geared towards children with special needs, such as autism spectrum disorders, sensory integration challenges, or short attention spans. Activities will stimulate the senses and promote learning–we will read books, sing songs, move around, and have fun!
Books, songs, and activities are on a preschool level, but sensory storytime is open to children ages three and up and their caregivers, and we limit the number of families in our storytimes to ensure that participants aren’t overwhelmed.
We hope to see you soon!
Sensory Storytime Guidelines
- Sensory Storytime is designed to give you or your caregiver a special time to interact with your child for playing, reading, and spending quality interactive time together.
- Remain with your child at all times. No child will be allowed into the storytime without his/her parent or caregiver.
- Our library staff will use preschool-level books, songs and movement during storytimes.
- All storytimes will follow the same format of songs, activities, and books.
- Siblings are welcome to accompany the parent/caregiver and child in the storytime, but please remember that this storytime is geared for children with sensory integration issues. Small group sizes are necessary to ensure the success of this program.
- During storytime, feel free to use our fidget toys, quiet spaces, or move about the room as your child needs.
We are here to offer assistance, information, and support so you and your child can have a great storytime experience. Have fun!